Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sometimes it's the little things...

Yesterday was the four year anniversary of the passing of my Dad and brother.
Weeks leading up to the day I pondered different ways in which to remember my Dad.

Most years I just listen to his music and say a little prayer- but this year, for some reason I needed to do something. 

One of my brothers spent a good amount of time with my dad after hours in the hospital- talking and trying to do whatever he could to comfort him and to make the situation seem as "normal" as possible.

That brother of mine has a spirit about him that is so caring and compassionate- He doesn't show that side of him often, but it is a side of him that I treasure to this day.

To memorialize my Dad I got it in my head this story that my brother had told me. 

  A few days before my Dad passed away he had asked my brother to bring him back a milkshake. This always struck me as odd, given that I (as well as my brother) had never seen my dad even look at a milkshake let alone consume one.
Since I was not there I will let my brother tell the story in his own words:

" I asked if he wanted anything and he asked for a milkshake, cant remember if it was choc or vanilla.  I told him I have never seen him drink a MS in my life, he talked about growing up and how when he was little he would really like them, even though they are terrible for you he said with the situation he was in that a milkshake certainly wasn't going to kill him.  He was also on some pretty tough medicine at the time which really ravaged his throat so i think he mentioned how good some ice cream would feel.  he wasn't eating or drinking at this point so whatever appealed to him i would get.
 
I went to Friendley(his choice) and grabbed him the milkshake, I sat next to his bed and watched the game together, the last game we would ever watch together and we have watched a ton, it was a classic that went to overtime and had a ton of excellent moments, probably one of the best of all time. In the end the underdogs prevailed which was fitting dad thought cause he was always trying to help the underdog get on top of the big guy.  I remember him saying when I asked him how  his MS was that sometimes in life it's the little small things that we all look over all the time that can be the best."
 
So here I am, Ms fitness, ms workout everyday, ms eat green beans and tofu for breakfast.....
 
Well to honor my Dad- by goodness I was going to have a milkshake (a GREAT milkshake) and I was going to get everyone else to do it with me.
The feedback I received yesterday from Facebook was amazing- people saying that they too would participate and do something that they liked and had always avoided.

All too much I find myself caught up with the everyday activity- have to do this, go there, fix this, get that, make food, pack lunch, make bottles. I, along with everyone else, am too busy to be in the moment.
My Dad taught me the importance of doing things even if I am scared- to be true to myself and to always go out of my way to help people.


And never be too busy, or too scared to sit back and enjoy a milkshake....(even if it is only once a year.)

No comments: